Our Cashbook template is designed for ease of use, but there are a few simple steps to set up your spreadsheet. We have also created a demonstration video to help get you started.
- Download the free template from Excel cashbook template
- Open up the instructions Tab.
- In highlighted boxes enter your business Name, bank opening balance and month you wish to start from
The account name will post at the top of each page. The opening balance will post on the starting month you choose.
Do not worry if your financial year does not start in January. When you post the opening balance and all the transactions for the year, the totals page will display the whole year’s figures.
Excel Cash Book Instructions Codes
There are two different versions of the cash book a standard version and extended, which includes more categories and rows.
- Open up the Account Codes tab.
- Enter up to 5 sales codes, e.g. sales of a product, sales consultancy, sales postage
- Enter up to 13 purchase codes, e.g. Cost of Sales, rent, post, insurance, postage
The setup is now complete, and you are ready to post your first transaction.
Open up the tab for the month you are posting the transactions. From your paperwork or bank statement enter the date, customer or supplier name, reference number to make it easier to find and amount.
On the ‘choose account’ use the drop-down arrow to select the account code that you have already set up that you wish the transaction to be posted to.
The amount will then be posted to the correct column and show in the totals page.
If you are working from your bank statement, then the cash book template’s balance should equal your bank statement. If there is a difference, you need to check that everything is entered correctly.
A full example of how the spreadsheet can be found below:
Return from Excel cash book instructions to free Excel bookkeeping templates page.