Do you need to know how to register as self employed? One of the first things to complete when starting your small business is getting it registered if you are not sure whether you should register as self-employed or a limited company, read why form a limited company first.
The registration process is relatively straight forward but needs to be done as soon as possible, or you may receive a fine from HMRC. Registering your small business as self-employed is the cheapest option as you do not have to pay for a limited company formation.
Before you begin the registration process, you will need to decide on your business name; you may want to use your name or make up a different name for your business. When deciding a name try and make it something that people will remember. It is worth also checking if a domain name is available.
How do I know if I’m Self-Employed
There are several things that you can check to see if you are self-employed:
- You choose the hours to work
- Work for several different customers
- Sell goods or services to make a profit
- Run the business and are responsible for the success or failure
If you are still not sure if you are self-employed use the HMRC tool to check employment status for tax.
Can I be Self-Employed and Employed?
In most cases, you can work for yourself as well as an employer. It is worth checking your employment contract to ensure that you are not breaching any of the conditions or ask your employer. If you are both self-employed and employed you will still need to register with HMRC to ensure that you pay the correct taxes.
How to Register as Self Employed – Information Needed
Before you complete the registration process, there are a few pieces of information that you will need to have to hand:
- Your national insurance number – this can be found on previous wage slips. If you do not have one, you will need to ask for one from HMRC.
- The date your business commenced.
- Your business contact details.
- If you already complete a self-assessment tax return, you will need your ten-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference number.
Where to register as self-employed
Registration can be completed using the Government Gateway website; if you have not already registered you will need to register first, this takes a while as you will have to wait for a User ID and Activation code to arrive through the post.
Once you are registered for the Government Gateway, you can then register as self-employed completing their simple online form.
Self Employment Responsibilities
There are several things that you will need to complete:
- Keep accurate business financial records
- File the self-assessment return by 31 January following the tax year-end
- Pay all taxes
- Register for VAT if your income is over the threshold
- Make sure you have insurance in place
If you need further information on how to register as self employed check out the Government website.
Return from how to register as self employed to accounting questions.