If you want to create a purchase order template, you can download one for free at the bottom of this page. Full instructions are given on how to use the template. As with all our bookkeeping templates, it is free and easy to use.
Our Free purchase order templates are available in Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets and other alternative packages.
Accounting software packages may include purchase order templates. The top UK software packages, including Xero, QuickBooks, FreshBooks, Zoho Books and Sage, have purchase orders. If you use a different accounting package, it is worth checking if the feature is available.
We have also developed a worksheet to include a log of all your orders along with the template. It makes it easy to see when orders are open, goods received, and the invoice is received.
Purchase Order Procedures
If you are new to purchase orders or need to know more information, a good starting point is to read our section on what is a purchase order. The page includes standard procedures for issuing a new order to a supplier and the needed process.
A purchase order is a form between a buyer and seller agreeing on the terms for goods or services. The buyer creates the documents and sends them to the seller. The seller will confirm if they accept the order or if any amendments are needed.
Further reading is also available on everything you need to know about purchase orders.
Purchase Order Format
There are a few things that you need to include in a purchase order. The most important items are your business details, supplier details, PO number, date of order, shipping information, date of goods or supplies expected, description and value.
The more information in the purchase order, the better; notes can also be added in the description or an email.
Purchase Order Template UK – Instructions
- Download free purchase order template – the link is at the bottom of the page.
- Save the template to either your hard disc or the cloud.
- Enter your business information, including company name, address and telephone number.
- If the delivery address is always the same, enter it now.
- You now have a template to use time and time again.
- If you do not have autosave enabled, save the Excel document again; it is the template you will use for all the orders.
Below is an example of our business template.
Purchase Order Template Excel Instructions
- When you start a new purchase order, save the template as a different file name. If you are using many purchase orders, it makes sense to use the PO number, perhaps followed by the supplier name.
- Choose a numbering system; never start from one. An example might be to use the year followed by a number.
- You are now ready to start entering the rest of the details. Date, click on it, and today’s date will appear if you want a different date, change it.
- Enter the supplier’s details in full, delivery date (if you have one), payment terms, who requested it and department.
- You are now ready to enter the products or services that you are ordering. Add as much detail as you can in the description. It makes it clear to the supplier the items required. Enter the quantity and unit price. The total will automatically calculate for you.
- Include any special delivery instructions; it might be an area to deliver to or someone to contact before delivery.
- Add any delivery charge.
- The VAT automatically calculates to 20%. If there is a different VAT rate, change the last number in the formula below.
The purchase order is now ready. If the company purchase order procedures require an authorised signature, this is the time to obtain it. The purchase order can then be sent to the supplier either by fax, email, post or delivery by hand.
Purchase Order Example
Below is a purchase order example using the template in Microsoft Excel.
It shows the following information:
- 3 items of inventory are ordered, 2 of each.
- The shipment address is the same as the company address.
- Payment terms are 14 days.
- Instructions for delivery
- The total price for the purchases is £1262.62, including delivery and VAT.
Purchase Order PDF
There may be instances where you want to use a blank purchase order form PDF document to print off. It is helpful if you are visiting the supplier’s premises and you want to leave the purchase order completed with them.
As in the instructions above, complete all your business details, including the delivery address. You can either delete the supplier and use this as a template for all orders or complete the supplier details. Delete the formulas in the bottom box for the totals, delivery and Net.
To print the form in Microsoft Excel to a PDF.
- Save as or save a copy
- Name the file
- Change the Excel workbook to PDF using the drop-down menu.
The document is then available to print out as a PDF file.
Purchase Order Template Log
If you are running a purchase order system, it is worth keeping a log of all the PO’s and their status. The status might include goods received, invoices received and that the order is complete.
The advantage of using this system is that you can easily track late deliveries, invoices not received, and if the order’s complete.
The search feature in Excel allows you to search the whole document for a description, PO number, supplier or anything else.
We have produced a simple template available for free download at the end of this page.
- Enter the details from the purchase order, either manually or copy and paste.
- When the goods are received, enter the date.
- When the invoice arrives, check it against the purchase order for any errors; if it is correct, enter the invoice number.
- If the order is complete, enter a ‘y’ in the last column.
Below is an example of a completed Purchase Order Log.
Two purchase orders entered; the first is complete, and the second is waiting for an invoice.
Purchase Order Templates Download
If you download any of our templates, you agree to our licence agreement.
Purchase Order Template Conclusion
The document is an agreement between the buyer and seller. The buyer will have a purchasing process that might include authorisation, suppliers that they can use and payment details.
It sets out the company details, price, shipping details and quantities.
A purchase order log will keep track of all orders, delivery date and if the order is complete.
Return from purchase order template Excel to Purchase orders.
See all our Excel bookkeeping templates.