If you are looking for a purchase order template, you can download one for free at the bottom of this page. Full instructions are given on how to use the template. As with all our bookkeeping templates, it is free and easy to use.
Accounting software packages may include the PO feature. The top UK software packages including Xero, QuickBooks and Sage, all have purchase orders. If you use a different accounting package, it is worth checking.
Along with the template, we have also developed a sheet to include a list of all your orders. It makes it easy to see when orders are open, goods received, and the invoice is received.
Purchase Order Procedures
If you are new to purchase orders or need to know more information, a good starting point is to read our section on what is a purchase order. The page includes common procedures for issuing a new order to a supplier and the process that is needed.
Further reading is also available on everything you need to know about purchase orders.
Purchase Order Template – Instructions
- Download free purchase order template – the link is at the bottom of the page.
- Save the template to either your hard disc or the cloud.
- Enter your business information, including, company name, address and telephone number.
- If the delivery address is always the same, enter it now. You now have a template to use time and time again.
- Save the Excel document again, if you do not have autosave; it is the template that you will use for all the orders. Below is an example of our business template.
- When you start a new purchase order, save the template as a different file name. If you are using lots of purchase order, it makes sense to use the PO number perhaps followed by supplier name.
- Choose a numbering system, never start from one. An example might be to use the year followed by a number.
- You are now ready to start entering the rest of the details. Date, click on it and today’s date will appear if you want a different date change it.
- Enter the supplier’s details in full, delivery date (if you have one), payment terms, requested by and department.
- You are now ready to enter the products or services that you are ordering. Add as much detail as you can in the description. It makes it clear to the supplier the items required. Enter the quantity and unit price. The total will automatically calculate for you.
- Include any special delivery instructions; it might be an area to deliver to, or someone to contact before delivery.
- Add any delivery charge.
- The VAT automatically calculates to 20%. If there is a different VAT rate, change the last number in the formula below.
The purchase order is now ready. If the company purchase order procedures require an authorised signature, this is the time to obtain it. The purchase order can then be sent to the supplier either by fax, email, post or deliver by hand.
Purchase Order PDF
There may be instances where you want to use a blank purchase order as a PDF document to print off. It is useful if you are visiting the supplier’s premises and you want to leave the purchase order completed with them.
As in the instructions above complete all your business details, including the delivery address. You can either delete the supplier and use this as a template for all orders, or complete the supplier details. Delete the formulas in the bottom box for the totals, delivery and Net.
To print the document from Excel to a PDF.
- Save as or save a copy
- Name the file
- Change the Excel workbook to PDF, using the drop-down menu.
The document is then available to print out as a PDF file.
Purchase Order Template Log
If you are running a purchase order system, it is worth keeping a log of all the PO’s and their status. The status might include good received, invoice received and that the order is complete. The advantage of using this system is that you can easily see late deliveries, invoices not received and if the order’s complete.
The search feature in Excel, allows you to search the whole document for a description, PO number, supplier or anything else.
We have produced a simple template, which is available for free download at the end of this page.
- Enter the details from the purchase order, either manually or copy and paste.
- When the goods are received, enter the date.
- When the invoice arrives, check it against the purchase order for any errors, if it is correct enter the invoice number.
- If the order is complete, enter a ‘y’ in the last column.
Below is an example of a completed Purchase Order Log.
There are two purchase orders entered; the first is complete, and the second is waiting for an invoice.
Purchase Order Template Downloads
If you download any of our templates, you agree to our licence agreement.
Return from purchase order template Excel to Purchase orders.